High Risk Protection
Poaching Prevention Operator
PPO Course Syllabus
PPO Basic Field T3C
The 3P rule in gun confrontation / personal medikit and first aid in the field / the use of the tourniquet and Israeli bandage / casevac tecs.
PPO environmental threat
1 Basic knowledge of savanna, tropical and forest ecology:
Different kind of vegetation patterns and animals caring capacity. Metereological and climate main aspects.
2 The African 10 high profile animals and their basic behavior:
1 Elephant / 2 White and black rhino / 3 Buffaloe / 4 Lion / 5 Leopard / 6 Hyena / 7 Hippo / 8 Crocodile / 9 Giraffe / 10 Ostrich.
3 Dangerous African reptiles:
Colubridae / Elapidae / Viperidae main species and their venoms.
4 Dangerous African arthropods:
Insects main dangerous species / arachnid main dangerous species / miriapodes main dangerous species.
PPO shooting techniques
Tactical use of webbing / positioning vital and no vital goods / platform sling.
2. Port and stances.
Weapons Safety / How to hold and move with a semi automatic / full automatic rifle-shotgun / advanced movements with rifles – standing, kneeling, prone, scanning, moving / different modes of carrying the rifle depending on the state of alert / muzzle and finger discipline.
3. Weapons and shooting drills:
Weapons Safety / individual shooting drills, involving movement and shooting from different positions, covers, concealments. Reloading, malfunctions, weapon check, safety procedures / tactical readiness, concealment, covert, shooting from concealment and from cover / target prioritization.
5A concept of situation awareness both passive and active / patrolling tecs based on 2 men and 4 men team: column, line, staggered formations, wedge, Y, Echelon
5. Immediate Reaction Tecs and drills:
How to react after a contact is made / offensive, defensive and evasive (envelops) movements / moving as a team of 2 and 4 with live fire.
6. Basics of dynamic shooting :
Balance / the tank concept / preventing funnel vision / step shot and stop shot.
7. Moving forward, backward and sideward:
Aiming while moving / holding aim while moving (balance exercise) / preventing damages from falls.
8. Shooting while moving:
Shooting while moving forward, backward and sideward 1 and 2 targets / the triangle exercise with 1 and 2 targets.
PPO vehicular training
1. Vehicle drills:
QRU and QRF Tactics based on vehicle use / debus and enbus / use of vehicles as a protection.
2. Shooting from a vehicle:
Shooting while moving, shooting from inside and outside the vehicle, casevac, shooting and contact drills.
3. Vehicle search:
Vehicle search tecs / hiding spots / outside, inside, bottomside.
PPO Observation Post
1. OP setting and living:
OP equipment / Creating and living an OP / finding shelters.
2. Camouflage and concealment.
Basics of camouflage / Tecs based on camouflage and concealment / 3D suites.
3. Moving and acquiring an optimal OP.
Stalking and moving in silence / OP optimal spots.
4. OP tactical response.
Shooting from an OP with and without backpack
1. Ambush goal: defensive or offensive.
Defining ambush goal and organizing an ambush / contests dictates tactics / defensive tecs / offensive tecs.
2. Near and Far ambushes.
Basics and dynamics of near ambushes / Basics and dynamics of far ambushes
3. Linear, V and L shape ambushes.
Pros and Cons of different ambushes.
4. Counter-ambushes: side, back and front drills.
How to prevent ambushes / patrolling formations that better react to ambushes / immediate reaction drills (defensive, offensive and evasive)
5. Basic communications and Radio Procedures.
Coms and Ops.
At the end of the course there will be a theory exam based on the previous knowledge. Only those that will pass the examination will be eligible to do the African based course.Once the candidate is certified we will choose the best site for the second part of the training. The second part will take place in one of PPA sites ranging from Kenya to South Africa. Based on results the candidate will be sent to the most suitable location for his competences.Once the candidate has been locally tested (it will be a training on duty) he will be given an assessment evaluation and becomes a Poaching Prevention Operator. By acquiring this certification he will have the chance to follow the PPA instructor course and be deployed as a trainer.
- Tactical First Aid
- Field craft -Camouflage and concealment. Living and working in the field.
- Patrolling techniques: column, line and modified techniques.
- Advanced Weapons training: advance firing, contact drills, weapons handling and patrolling safely with rifles (port and ready stances). We will be dealing with AK’s, Shotguns and also simunitions. (PLS bare in mind, this is not a carbine course but a ranger course! No competence with your weapons… no chances to advance).
- Communications and radio procedures.
- From static observation posts (OP’s) to reactive OP’s.
- Setting up maintaining and living in OP’s.
- Surveillance and reporting on known or suspected poachers.
- Background in status, ecology, behaviour and habitats of local wildlife.
- Live drills and force on force techniques.
- Vehicle drills and searching.
- Techniques of navigation in the field – Acquiring your position using Global Positioning System, use of a compass and map and accurate position plotting and reporting. Finding your way using Celestial navigation and use of the sun (using Austral constellations).
- Forensic for first in the scene (FFIS)
The European Security Academy and Poaching Prevention Academy course has been created to develop a training career and professional path in order to answer to the recent wildlife crises.
This course has been developed in order to deliver to all trainee basic knowledge of the most important aspects in counter poaching operations. Although a lot of people may possess the right tactical skills and background, counter poaching operations are mainly focused on 3 aspects:
- Wildlife management.
- Environmental threats.
- Human based threats.
For these reasons our course is divided into 2 main steps:
- Training in Poland in ESA base.
- Training in Africa in one of PPA operation sites.
Please note: any rangers course that is not based in Africa is fake! Rangers are exposed on a daily basis to an environmental threat such as heat, cold (yes – in winter in some Southern African countries winter is very cold), wild animals (from elephants to nasty spiders), African based diseases and, then, to poachers. Our training is both tactical (Poland part) and environmental (African part).
|27 Apr - 10 May||2100 €||Fully booked|
|19 Aug - 01 Sep||2100 €||Sign up|